To Tarragona, Spain… Thanks For Everything!

Take me to Tarragona! I chose Tarragona as my next target, Spain had be under a spell!! It's a damn good job I have a sense of direction, my journey from Barcelona to Tarragona via Sitges proved to be rather problematic but ended well. It's no secret that I'm missing Puerto Rico, damn right I wanted to get lost in this gem of a Spanish town! Vamanos! Me refiero ahora! Yes!


Roman, Roman, Roman, you say? Yes, Tarragona has a Roman flare about it. Captured to the left is the Amphitheatre that I found at the top of the hill, close to Rambla Vella. It was amazing to see such a contrast between locations as that very morning I had left behind Barcelona for the seaside town of Sitges, to then discovering this Roman marvel so it was a pleasant surprise. I decided to admire this ancient point of interest from a distance as I had so much to see in such a short space of time. Being so far up from the sea was great as I could gaze into the distance, the Mediterranean sea on a sunny day is a view that can't be complained about! I despise maps so I half followed the street signs but my heart wasn't prepared to compromise, you already know that Tarragona was giving me life! The Roman vibe shined through the chilled streets of this Spanish town! Things were looking like the PR! Los mapas son tontos! Si!

Did I forget to mention that Tarragona is really easy to access by train from Barcelona Sants Station by using Renfe Media Distancia trains, doing it all independently was the one! After my stressful journey I was completely satisfied that Tarragona was definitely serving Mediterranean realness! The train station was small but boasted electronic departure and arrival screens so I was in the know for my return journey back to Sitges. I didn't worry about walking lots, this town is centred around small sections that are accessible without a map. I was hungry for Tarragona, the pace of Barcelona led me wanting something sweeter with out the crowds! Barcelona seemed so faraway! Serving hot couture the Roman Amphitheatre looked just how it should have with its semi-crumbling facade I knew Tarragona was the trick for me! I wasn't paying no admission fee, taking my photos from a distance I'm paying my contribution in this blog. Oh no she better don't! Changing trains? No, no!


Tarragona's old town took me back to somewhere that I loved good, somewhere that I visited in September 2012. I felt like I was back walking through the streets of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico! With the 'Plaça De La Font' in front of me and the alfresco restaurants dotted along the street I was in heaven! Forget any preconceptions you had about Spain because this town breaks the mould, leave the buckets and spades for later! Taking a few moments to take in the scene I had encountered I was down right in love with Tarragona's 'Plaça De La Font!'. I do suppose that invasions can eventually be beautiful, it all looked like a stunning blueprint for a new territory! That part of town showed me a maze of quaint side streets that I didn't question like I had done in Barcelona. I respected the foundations because Tarragona served something legendary. No pierdas ni un momento en T! Te amo España! Get it, Tarra!

The weather was beautiful, not to hot but just right so all my worries had gone! Tarragona's old town was just mystifying, I want to go back their now! From the hustle and bustle of Barcelona it was bizarre but super to feel the calm that Tarragona's old town brought to my trip. I decided not to eat at one of the restaurants pictured as I wanted to walk a little bit further to discover more, but I know if I didn't find anywhere better I would have been back to the 'Plaça De La Font'. Anyway, I must tell you a secret because I never originally intended to visit Tarragona, due to family recommending this town I just couldn't resist a jaunt to this sensational town! My family recommendation paid off, so next time your nearest and dearest advice a place to visit just go for it! I appreciated the council building that stood before at the end of the parade of restaurants, I would love something like that in Bilston! For Spanish colonial chic I needed to see Tarragona! No, that wasn't a question! Oy!


I embraced Tarragona's 'La Rambla Nova', giving it my full attention! A formidable yet charming street that runs through the centre of Tarragona's town centre. It's the centre of the 'Nouveau Riche' with posh designer shops and a pedestrianised walkway. The abundance of trees accentuated the breeze as it cooled down the heated afternoon. La Rambla Nova De Tarragona had such a lovely vibe, chilled yet the local people still went about their business without a fuss. I didn't really notice the tourists, something that I love because some of us can be a rowdy and shameless bunch of folk! Not me for I'm good like that, don't test me though! By this time I was so hungry, so much so I nearly ate a Dominos Pizza, such a no no! When in Spain it's always best to be adventurous and enjoy the local cuisine. Choosing another chain would have been an absolute sin, McDonald's was only allowed once in Barça! Ay, dios mio T!

Captured above stands Tarragona's 'El Balcón del Mediterráneo', another reference to the Roman Era. 'The Balcony of The Mediterranean' stood in the far distance, interlinking with the Roman amphitheater that I had visited during my first moments in Tarragona after stepping from the train. Trust and believe, Tarragona will forever be in my heart and mind! Onto the subject of food, I certainly love a bargain and to eat well without feeling guilty about the bill, Tarragona ticked all of those dreaded boxes. As the time grew closer for me to get my train back to Sitges I found a lovely little street-side restaurant that had special deals on their food and beer, a perfect combination! I ate two delicious courses and drank two ice cold 'Mahon' beers for as little as £12.00! I was loving the arroz Cubano! Tarragona served Roman and Mediterranean realness in all the right places! Ready for my train, I looked towards the night ahead in Sitges, my day of culture needed turning up higher! Bye!

Tarragona ... Seguir Sirvendo 'Mediterraneo Estilo!

Joseph Harrison

Comments